9.12.2010

Sifting the Sands of Distant Worlds

The idea of exploring other worlds sends chills down my spine. Every time I turn my eyes skyward and see those distant points of light, twinkling down at me, I can't help but feel the compulsion to reach for them. It's an almost overwhelming drive, a sort of primal urge to reach untouched shores. I know that we must one day voyage amongst the stars or else face our own eventual extinction. That knowledge further drives that feeling, that itch to explore new vistas.


The Symphony of Science's new video(shown below) is about the prospect of a manned mission to Mars. I'm a pretty big fan of their other videos and this one is no different. It makes me smile to think of leaving Earth to explore our distant solar neighbor. I would volunteer in a heartbeat to be part of such a venture. It would be a journey fraught with danger and all sorts of perils, but it would be the journey of a lifetime. Certainly something worth the risks involved.





"Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you." - Carl Sagan

No comments:

Post a Comment